VACANCY FOR DEPUTY CLERK
Ripon City Council is recruiting for a Deputy Clerk. The role will involve working with Councillors and deputising for the Clerk as required. The role will also include acting as Proper Officer to the Council when the Clerk is absent.
The post holder will support the Clerk and provide independent and objective advice to the Council. This is a key role that requires energy, enthusiasm and commitment. The person appointed will have a can-do, flexible approach to the role and a strong desire to grow with the post as the Council develops.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they have relevant experience; a track record of service achievement, be motivated and proactive, with a flexible approach to working.
This is an opportunity for a forward-thinking individual to work at the centre of a community focused organisation.
Applicants will need to be available to work regularly in the evenings and occasional weekends, for which time off in lieu by mutual agreement will be granted.
The role of the Deputy Clerk will primarily be:
• To assist, support and deputise for the Clerk in all aspects of the day-to-day management and operation of services and resources, in line with relevant laws and statutory obligations to ensure compliance. This means that the role mirrors many of the accountabilities, duties, and responsibilities of the Clerk;
• Assist the Clerk in the management of the Council’s finances;
• To clerk some of the Committees of the Council and provide advice, guidance and support where necessary;
• To support committees, subgroups and member initiatives as required;
• To have responsibility for the bookkeeping parts of the Council’s finances;
• Assist the Clerk in the monitoring and control of the Council’s day to day financial records and accounts, subject to instruction from the Clerk/ Responsible Financial Officer or to deputise during holiday/absence periods;
• To issue notices, prepare agendas and minutes for various Council committees, to clerk these meetings and undertake follow-up work as required.
The job is very varied with no two days being the same.
The successful applicant will have strong communication and literacy skills as well as a very good IT skill set.
The Deputy Clerk will be interacting with the public, Councillors and other organisations, both in verbal and written formats.
The Deputy Clerk will be both a team player and be able to work on their own without close supervision, showing initiative when required.
Training will be provided to the post-holder, with opportunities for continuing professional development in multiple areas. Some training will be undertaken in house, the Clerk to the Council is a CiLCA recognised trainer.
The role is full time 37 hours per week. There will be some evening and occasional weekend work.
The Council will appoint at LC2, (below substantive range), scale point 18 on the NJC scale £24,982 per annum for an unqualified candidate, up to LC2 (substantive range), scale point 24, £28,672 per annum, for a qualified candidate.
The Council is a member of the Local Government Pension Scheme. Employees will be auto enrolled into the scheme after three months’ service. Post pandemic, the postholder will be based at Ripon Town Hall and elsewhere within Ripon as required.
Applications are invited by completing the application form which should be sent to the Clerk, Paula Benson at .
Prospective candidates are welcome to call 01765 604097 to discuss the post or seek additional information, prior to applying.
Closing date for applications is Friday 27th August 2021 at noon.
The City Council and the Town Hall is subject to Covid 19 restrictions and interviews will take place accordingly depending on progression through the Government’s COVID roadmap.