Ripon City Council comprises 12 councillors across four wards; ‘all out’ elections are usually held every four years.

The next full elections are due to take place May 2027.

2023 Full Elections

5th May 2022

Minster Ward

Cllr Chris Hardisty

Cllr Pauline McHardy

Cllr Tony Duncan

Moorside Ward

Cllr Peter Horton

Cllr Julie Ann Martin-Long

Cllr Andrew Williams

Spa Ward

Cllr Barbara Brodigan

Cllr Jackie Crozier

Cllr Stuart Flatley

Ure Bank Ward

Cllr Jo Bate

Cllr Sid Hawke

Cllr Eamon Parkin

Become a Ripon City Councillor

Elections are held for the 12 seats on the council usually every four years and the last full elections took place in May 2022. One ward was uncontested (meaning councillors were elected unopposed) whilst three wards were contested and had a poll.


What does a councillor do?

Councillors work together to set the policy direction of the Council. Councillors attend regular meetings of the council and its committees to make decisions on a range of matters deciding what services should be delivered, where money should be spent and what policies should be implemented.

Councillors represent the local community, both residents of their ward and the city as a whole. Councillors will be contacted by residents who have problems they need assistance with.


There are three ways to become a councillor:

Ordinary Election

Ordinary elections are usually held every four years and this is when all 12 seats on the council are up for election. Councillors usually serve a four-year term and all take office four days after the election. The next ordinary election is in May 2027.


If a vacancy arises between ordinary elections a by-election may be held for that one seat. The elected councillor will serve the remainder of the term and retire with other councillors at the next ordinary election.


If an insufficient number of candidates stand for an ordinary election leaving seats vacant, or a by-election is not triggered when a casual vacancy arises, the existing councillors may vote to co-opt a councillor to serve the term. 

Frequently Asked Questions


Are councillors paid?

No, our councillors do not receive an allowance. The exception to this is the Mayor who receives an allowance to meet the expenses of that office.


Who decides if there will be a by-election?

A casual vacancy arises when a councillor leaves office between ordinary elections. This could be through resignation, death, disqualification or by failing to attend meetings.

When a casual vacancy arises, the Chief Officer will publish a notice giving the electors living in the ward 14 working days the opportunity to demand an election. If 10 electors request an election a by-election is triggered.

If fewer than 10 request an election, the council must instead co-opt a councillor to fill the vacancy.

If the vacancy occurs within the 6 months before an ordinary election no by-election will be held even if demanded. If a by-election is not demanded the council can choose to leave the vacancy unfilled until the election.


What support is provided?

The Chief Officer provides an induction for all new councillors and part of their role is to provide advice and support to all councillors. Experienced councillors are often happy to support new councillors ‘find their feet’.

We encourage councillors to undertake training relevant to their roles and the needs of the council and councillors.


Where do the wards come into it?

Ripon is divided into four wards: Ure Bank, Moorside, Spa and Minster. It is the electors of the ward who vote in any given election, a councillor does not have to live in the ward they stand in.

In any election, you can only stand once i.e. in one ward. If you stand for more than one you will be not be validly nominated in either. However, you are not tied to a ward, so if you stand for election in Moorside ward in one election, you could stand in Minster ward at the next.


Can I be a member of a political party / do I have to be?

Councillors can stand for election (or co-option) as candidates for a political party, to do so they must have permission from the party, usually through the local branch.

Councillors can also be independent of political parties.


Who can be a Ripon City Councillor?

Anyone aged 18 or over can stand for election (or co-option) if they meet certain qualification criteria. The first is that you are a British citizen, a citizen of either an eligible commonwealth nation or a qualifying EU citizen or EU citizen with retained rights.

The second qualification criteria is your connection to Ripon; there are four different criteria you could meet and you only need to meet one of them to be able to stand.

Registered Elector

You are on the electoral register for Ripon at the time of nomination and will remain on it throughout your term of office.

Occupied Land in Ripon

You have occupied land or premises in Ripon as owner/tenant for the 12 months preceding nomination (and election).

Work in Ripon

Your main/only place of work is in Ripon or has been during the past 12 months – this includes voluntary work if it is the main/only work you undertake.

Live in Ripon

You have lived in Ripon (or within 3 miles of the boundary) for the 12 months preceding nomination (and election).

You are disqualified from being a City Councillor if any of the following apply: you are an employee/paid officer of Ripon City Council, you are subject to a bankruptcy restrictions order/interim order, you have been sentenced (inc. suspended sentences) to a term of imprisonment of three months or more within the 5 years prior to polling day or you have been disqualified under the Representation of the People Act 1983 e.g. for corrupt or illegal electoral practices.

Detailed guidance on qualification and disqualification can be found on the Electoral Commission website.

Skip to content